Job Title: Intervention Manager, Business Environment (BE)
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Business Environment.
Application Deadline: May 30, 2019
About Financial Sector Deepening Uganda (FSDU)
Financial Sector Deepening Uganda (FSDU) is an independent not-for-profit company committed to promoting greater access to and usage of financial services in Uganda. FSD Uganda seeks to develop a more inclusive financial sector with a focus on low-income individuals (particularly women) and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
FSD Uganda works with both public and private sector players to develop sustainable improvements in the livelihoods of low-income individuals through reduced vulnerability to shocks, increased incomes and employment creation. We support innovation, conduct research, help promote and improve policy, laws and regulation that shape the financial sector in Uganda through targeted Technical Assistance (TA) and grants. FSD Uganda is funded by Department for International Development (DFID) UKaid and The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. We are part of a network of eight other financial inclusion organizations working in the Sub Saharan region of Africa.
For more information, please visit www.fsduganda.or.ug
About this role
The Business Environment (BE) pillar at FSDU works closely with the public sector, financial sector regulators and key meso institutions -namely industry associations like Uganda Bankers Association (UBA), Financial Technology Services Providers Association (FTSPA) Association, Association of Microfinance Institutions of Uganda (AMFIU), Uganda Insurers Association (UIA). Our work ranges from inputs into policy drafts, supporting the development of regulation, to nudging the public sector to think through next generation of financial product and services licensing, supervision with an aim of creating a forward looking, and enabling business climate in the country.
The intervention manager will support the Head of Business Environment in driving this change.
Job Description and Key Results Areas
Strategic • Support the BE Pillar Head in thinking through the business climate and regulatory bottlenecks, as well as capacity building initiatives and design effective multi-year program interventions that meaningfully:
o Enhance the current business climate
o Allow for the development of new innovations without compromising
the stability of the financial sector
o Shape next generation licensing, supervisory regimes
o Strengthen the capacity of macro and meso institutions in the country.
Program Management and Delivery
Knowledge Management and Thought Leadership
Monitoring, Results Management and Reporting
FSDU Team Collaboration and Upward Management
• Develop a detailed workplan for the different program interventions
• Manage the procurement of consultants that may be required in the implementation of the different program interventions. This will include development of robust Terms of References (TORs) to select high quality consultants
• Hold consultants, and vendors to a high standard of quality and methodology of work outputs
• Coordinate with the different partners in the implementation of the different program interventions
• Write Progress Reports for the different Program Interventions
• Effective closure of program interventions
• Undertake policy, legal and regulatory analysis in relation to financial inclusion
• Write and publish blogs, research papers, policy briefs and other publications relevant to the FSD Uganda Mandate
• Participate in the development and implementation of FSD Uganda’s knowledge management strategy and plan
• Manage the organisation of program partner engagements such as workshops, Roundtable Discussions etc.
• Participate in engagements such as workshops, Roundtable Discussions etc. organised by program partners
• Liaise with the Communications Specialist to develop communications messages for the different program partner engagements
• Support the Results Management Team to monitor the implementation and the performance of the different Business Environment program interventions
• Support the Results Management Team to organise field engagements related to monitoring and evaluation of Business Environment program interventions with intervention partners
• Work with other team members to ensure cross-departmental coordination, sharing of ideas, and insights.
• Ensure that the Head of Business Environment is updated on a regular basis and alerted to any risks, or opportunities.
Any other activity as deemed necessary by the Head of Business Environment
• A Bachelor’s degree in any field, preferably in Economics or Law
• A Master’s degree in Economics, Laws or related fields (added advantage)
Job related experience
• At least 5 years of demonstrable experience, at least 3 of which should be in the financial inclusion, business environment, regulatory space.
• Demonstrated experience in research, policy, legal and regulatory analysis
• Demonstated experience working with financial sector regulators
• Demonstated experience in policy advocacy within and or without government
• Proven track record in managing teams and consultants / service providers including development of terms of reference where required
• Exceptional communications skills (especially strong writing skills)
• Team work skills
• Understanding of the local Ugandan regulatory and financial inclusion environment would be an added advantage.
Learning and Expert Status
Getting Work Done
Influencing and Impact Management
Proactivity and Innovation
Thinking and Problem Analysis
How to Apply and Deadlines
1. All Applications must be sent to FSDU’s recruiting firm- Future Options Consulting Limited by email at email@example.com
2. Candidates must submit their applications electronically at the above listed email address with their Cover Letter and Resume. The resume should contain details of 3 references.
3. Please insert the job title in the subject line of your email submission.
4. Deadline: Applications must be submitted by 5.00 pm, Uganda Time on the 30th of May 2019.
Please specify the position applied for in the subject line of the email message.